Thursday, March 25, 2010

Abstraction in the Car and in a Canadian Hotel Room.

I just got back from a short vacation. My dad and I decided on a whim to go up to Quebec city for a few days to practice our french and enjoy a change of scene. We go pretty often, so it was fun to revisit our favorite restaurants and drink lots and lots of coffee while people-watching in malls :)

I packed a full art kit for the hotel room and the car, because unfortunately I can't stand down time (I wish I could, maybe I wouldn't get so exhausted.) Our next assignment in painting has to do with abstraction, so I've been playing around with that in my sketchbook.

If you have ever tried to write of draw in the car, then you know how difficult it is to get any kind of precise line. At first I was kind of annoyed, but then I decided just to go with it. I made what I guess I'm going to call "Car Compositions." I just held my pen to the paper and tried not to influence it at all. After a while I found myself cursing the roads that were at all well kept :D The results were pretty cool, especially because right now lines of different qualities really inspire me.


During the small bouts of time when we were actually in the hotel, I worked on a drawing which I had started in the car (plus a few others.) A few weeks ago I guiltily ripped a few pages out of a science magazine at the gym because I thought the pictures were inspiring, and they came in handy- I don't feel so guilty anymore because they went to a good cause :] I used one of these pages as a base for my abstract drawings.

I'm still playing around with the idea and recreating the image in various ways, but I think it may go somewhere. I might use it for my next assignment.


No comments:

Post a Comment